The NHS Confederation and the RCGP set out six principles for delivering integrated out-of-hospital care. They are:
- Making best use of resources to improve health and wellbeing outcomes for the whole population.
- Empowering patients to have more control over their care packages, strengthen prevention, self-care and wellbeing.
- Targeting services – focusing integrated services on those patient groups most likely to derive the most benefit.
- Collective leadership and joint working – health and social care leaders jointly deliver solutions appropriate to their own communities.
- Incentivising integrated care – develop mechanisms to reward organisations and staff to deliver integrated care.
- Ensuring openness and transparency – using an open-book approach towards all aspects of integrated care